Monday, June 30, 2008

Pinecrest--A Camping Experience!

We got to go to Pinecrest this past weekend. We made the reservations months ago, thankfully. As we are not avid campers, we did not realize how booked places can get. It was hard to find a spot when we scheduled it back then. It was definitely all full. I liked ours though because it was more secluded than other campsites.

Miss Snootie Patootie

We left Oakdale on Friday and reached Pine Crest at about 1:00 or so. When we got there, Carly said she had to go poops. We have been doing a bit of potty training the past week and a half and she’s improved each day but still has many accidents. Anyhow we brought her little potty with us because she had been wanting to go in a potty and not in her diaper lately. So she did her thing on the potty and I noticed that her diaper was dry, so I thought I’d let her wear underwear. Next thing I know Bryan has discovered an explosion in Carly’s pants. She must have eaten something because she had just emptied herself not ten minutes prior to this explosion. Ironically I was laughing about it as I tried to clean her off. Bryan volunteered to her soiled clothes to the bathroom and wash them out. He opted to throw the Princess underwear away. Sorry Cinderell, but it just wasn’t worth it!
So that was our first experience with camping, but we weren’t discouraged yet. We just decided no underwear until we got back home! We headed for the beach. Carly would not let her feet touch the sand. She hates any kind of dirt or sand on her feet. She was sitting in a little camp chair on the shore, actually in the water, and I gave her a shovel to play with, but when she leaned over to put it in the water, she faceplanted into the sand. I was holding Parker so couldn’t get to her very well, but Bryan grabbed her. She had a bit of sand in her face and hair, but not too bad. She was not happy about it though especially when she almost did it again a little while later.

Parker loved putting his feet in the water. We brought a bumbo (special baby chair) for him and sat him in it in the water and he just splashed. He also tried to eat some of the sand, but just once. I guess it wasn’t too appealing.


Braxton didn’t get in to swim, but he played in the sand, building mini forts and what not. We brought Braxton’s bike, so he really enjoyed riding it around. He went on several little bike rides with Bryan. (Only went on one with me since I almost got us lost. He didn’t think that was very fun. I have a horrible sense of direction!)





That evening we after dinner we roasted marshmallows and had s’mores, which Braxton loved. After we put the kids to bed, Bryan and I sat up for a bit and snuggled by the fire. I love being in the cold but by a fire and under the stars—it’s just perfect. It was nice to relax and talk to each other.





It was soooo cold that night. I could not sleep. Carly kept waking up crying, so we finally put her in our bed. I think she was just freezing. Parker had two blankets on him, but I put a beach towel and my warmest sweatshirt on him because I was worried. And then since Carly was in bed with us, I grabbed her sleeping bag and climbed inside and put our other two quilts on top of me. I was wearing a hoodie, so I put the hood over my head and tied it tight around my face. Then I felt like I was in heaven. I was finally warm!!
We went to the beach the next day and stayed for a few hours before packing up and heading home. We were all pretty tired. I think one night is all we can do though we brought enough stuff for a week!!

5 comments:

Kim Whitemyer said...

You guys are such great parents to brave the camping routine. I'm glad you all didn't freeze and Carly survived the face plants! I loved your pictures. Especially the one of Carly showing her delight with the outdoors. I think you really have a princess after all!

Da Dandy Davis' said...

Kinda,

Yeah for a great camping trip! The pictures are great! We love tent camping. We have been camping with our children since they were wee tots. Each camping trip that you take will have funny stories, memories, and pictures. So enjoy! :)

PS-Are you up for a game night sometime soon?

Anonymous said...

hey kinda! i love to hear how everyone is doing on blogs. your fam is so cute!
anna

Amy said...

how fun you guys got to go camping! Looks like it was a blast

b.liz said...

You are very brave. My idea of a fun camping trip is staying at a 5 star hotel.