Monday, November 3, 2008

A Child's Prayer

The week of Halloween I realized I hadn't seen the machete I had bought Braxton as part of his Halloween costume, so I started looking for it in all the obvious places. When I asked him about it, he had no idea where it would be and didn't seem that concerned about not having it for Halloween. Well then Halloween night came and I'm getting everyone ready to go when Braxton starts searching for his machete. I told him I hadn't been able to find it and we probably wouldn't be able to before we had to go. A few minutes later, I walked into his room to find him kneeling by his bed with his head bowed. He looked up at me surprised, and I could tell he was embarrassed, so I quickly left. I was so touched that Braxton would think to pray about finding his sword. However I decided I needed to pray too and ask Heavenly Father to answer Braxton's prayer. Though this was a trivial thing, it meant a lot to Braxton and it would mean a lot to his little budding seeds of faith. After I said the prayer I went immediately into my room and looked under my bed--the one place I hadn't checked for it, and there it was. I called for Braxton and I told him that we needed to kneel and thank Heavenly Father for answering his prayer. It was a really neat experience for me because I was so proud of Braxton. He actually has been listening in Family Home Evening and in Primary. It was a great moment as a parent. I'm sure many of you have had these moments with your kids, but this was my first and I'm sure it was a testimony builder for Braxton, as it certainly was for me.

5 comments:

Amy said...

that was precious......

Anonymous said...

What a great moment.

Stacey said...

Kinda, you are such a good mom! I got all teary eyed reading that sweet story.

Anonymous said...

that is sooo cute of him to think to pray. thanks for sharing.

Leanna said...

Hey cousin! Found your blog--hope you don't mind! That is too sweet about Braxton's prayer.

We have a blog, too, if you want to check it out (especially to see pictures and videos of our little Hazel). It's lanceandleanna.blogspot.com.